For many, Scotch is something to be sipped seriously. However, Scotch was regularly served with punch at parties and feasts until the 1800’s so let’s make this drink a modern summer affair.
- 2 oz Light, smoky Scotch whisky (Talisker is ideal)
- 1 oz Fresh lemon juice
- 1.5 oz Rhubarb, Ginger and Honey Syrup (or to taste) ((See Below))
- 1 handful Summer berries (raspberries, strawberries, blackberries or a combination)
- Quality ginger ale
Garnish: Orange wedge, mint sprig and summer berries
Add all ingredients except the ginger ale to a highball glass filled a third of the way with crushed ice. Stir lightly. Crown with a splash of ginger ale. Garnish with an orange wedge, mint sprig and a few summer berries.
To make the rhubarb, ginger and honey syrup:
- 2 to 3 Rhubarb stalks, roughly chopped
- 2 to 3 slices Fresh ginger
- 2 oz Honey, plus more if desired
Add all the ingredients to a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the rhubarb breaks down into a pulp. Taste, and add more honey if desired. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer and refrigerate until cold before using.
This drink is going to tickle those taste buds you didn’t even know existed.